St Gabriel Orthodox Church, Nallila was established around 120 years back. During the earlier days Holy mass could be arranged only once in a month. The need of parish members to meet regularly on all Sundays for spiritual nourishment resulted in the formation of YMCA during 1949-50, Rev. Fr. V K Daniel was the vicar then. Members elected by the general body gave leadership to the organisation from time to time. At that time organisation primarily focussed on reconstructing the church. As a result of collective effort of the parish members, managing committee of the church and youth organisation, the church was reconstructed and consecrated subsequently in the year 1960.
In 1972,” Yuvajana prasthanam”- OCYM (Orthodox Christian Youth Movement) was formerly established and registered with the Diocese. The motto of the organisation is “Work, Study and Worship”. At least one member of every family of the parish joined the movement which rejuvenated the organisation. They were guided by the visionary leaders whose vision and dreams is the source of inspiration that permeates through the activities of the present generation. The organisation celebrated its golden jubilee from June 1999 to Sept 2000 with various programmes and fests.
The organisation is involved providing financial assistance to the needy and sick both within and outside the parish. The organisation provides school kit and dress to Sunday school children who hail from poor families every year. The organisation is actively involved in identifying the latent talents in children and youth and nurturing it by organising, cultural events, workshops, discussions, sports meet. During Onam celebration a week long programme is arranged. Apart from it OCYM co ordinate and conducts debates, medical camps, family meet, sanitation drive, aids awareness camps, eye camp thus leading the youth to the mainstream of the church and society at large.
The organisation is involved in developmental activities of the church; every year a project is set and youth league acts on it. To mention a few, Youth league collected Rs 1 lakh towards the reconstruction of the church, constructing boundary wall around the church, likewise main gate, mike set, generator etc.The organisation had brought out a parish directory which was widely appreciated. During the reconstruction phase of the church, youth members actively took part in it and made financial contributions. The leadership and service rendered by the presidents, vice presidents, secretaries and joint secretaries and youth members is gratefully acknowledged.
Feast of St Gabriel and St George is among the important feasts celebrated by the church. During the “Perunnal”, members of the organisation actively take part and co ordinate the activities associated with it .Youth league arrange a book stall in connection with the feast every year. During the month of December, the youth league is actively involved in teaching carol songs and is in the forefront of conducting Christmas carol and rally. The youth movement conducts diocese level quiz competition in fond remembrance of late HH Moron Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, the former catholicos of the east.
Youth movement have produced 8 members who have successfully completed theological studies and are serving as priests in various parishes of the church. The members of the organisation have been actively participating in programmes conducted at all levels of church hierarchy and have participated and won competition held at unit level to “akhila malankara “level . At present there are 70 young men and 50 women who are active members of the organisation.
On Saturdays, after the “sandhya namsakaram” the meeting starts at 7:30pm. It is presided by the vicar who is the president of the organisation. The meeting commences with singing hymns, followed by prayer, reading the holy scriptures, reciting the verses, later the secretary presents the weekly report which is kept before the general body for its approval, then the president passes the report which is followed by quiz competition , discussion on contemporary issues , presentation by members. The meeting concludes with a prayer and blessings from the vicar. Apart from Saturdays, youth league conducts a joint meeting on 2nd Sunday where both men and women participate and on 4th Sunday a meeting only for young women is also held every month. The movement also hold prayer meeting at the homes of the members during month end.
Donations, membership fees, offerings, auction are the prime source of income to the organisation. The members who have grown through Sunday school and the youth movement working abroad are constantly providing financial help. The organisation has won the best unit in the Trivandrum Diocese. The organisation constitutes a president, vice president, secretary, 2 joint secretaries, 7 committee members who administers the organisation
Achievements of St.Gabriel Youth Movement during the year 2009-2010
- The unit won First Prize in group song with instrument, instrument music, story writing competition, and won Second prize in Solo song, Group song, Poetry composition, Quiz competition, Essay writing Competition and also won first prize for best unit at group level.
- The unit won First Prize in Solo song, Group song and Group song with instrument, Story writing competition, Poetry Composition, Instrument Music competition, Quiz competition and Second prize in Group song, Essay writing Competition and also won best unit in the Trivandrum diocese.
- The unit bagged the First Prize in Solo Song competition, Group song competition, Instrument music and Third prize in Group song with instrument at “Akhila Malankara” level held at Kottayam Baselios College. The unit achieved the best performance in various competitions at “Akhila Malankara”level.
- The unit won First prize in HH Baselios Marthoma Mathews II Memorial Kollam-Thiruvananthapuram Diocese Level Quiz competition held at Villoor St Mary’s Orthodox Church.
- The unit secured the Third prize in Kollam-Thiruvananthapuram Diocese Level Quiz competition held at Nedumpaikulam St George Orthodox Church in memory of Vattaseril Thirumeni.
- The unit secured first prize in Thiruvananthapuram Diocese Level Quiz competition held at Ummannoor Mar Semuvan Desthuni Orthodox Church in memory of Geevarghese Mar Dioscorus Thirumeni.
- The unit secured the Third prize in Thiruvananthapuram Diocese Level Quiz Competition held at Anchal St.George Orthodox Church in memory of Geevarghese Mar Dioscorus Thirumeni.